Friday, January 27, 2006

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

It's been snowing for two days straight now, and the whole city is a big pile of brown slush. If you're wondering why on earth this is such a big deal, well, you obviously don't live in Milan. Apparently, there hasn't been this much snow since 1985 (but I wouldn't know, as I was still in gamete form at that time), and, Italians being the world's greatest drama queens, this takes the top spot in the news, above Palestinian election results and kidnapped journalists.
Ignore my seemingly indifferent attitude. I am as over-excited as a drunk house-elf. Snow rules, and I never see any.
School decided they'd let us out at 12:30, but everyone left an hour earlier except me, the uber-nerd who didn't want to miss Italian. When that was over, I made my way home through piles of dirty snow, jeans sopping by the time I got to the metro. Still, I had something to look forward to. Plans were made for a snowball fight at Panacea's house. Our also very nerdy friend Harry said she'd join in, and we just ignored everyone else because they were too busy pretending they were too cool for snowball fights.
I wore my Moon Boots and set out to wait for the 54 (that's a bus, by the way). Surprisingly enough, it got there within a song time (around four minutes, unless it's Stairway to Heaven) and I eventually got chez Panacea.
Soon, we were out on the street, in a surreally quiet Milan, throwing snowballs at each other. My two evil friends ganged up on me too many times for my liking, and my poor ears were targeted mercilessly. Alas, tiredness soon set in, and we decided to engage in a more sedentary occupation: snowman building.
The result of an hour's toil and trouble was Frosty.


Frosty is a cool snowman with a green pepper for a nose, twig pieces for eyes, and a mohican. He also happens to be lopsided, although that was entirely unintentional. Those metal pole thingies, by the way, are slightly less than a metre in length, so you can imagine how big an enterprise the building of Frosty was.
The name Frosty is, of course, an original creation. No other snowmen are called Frosty. None at all.
Frosty enjoyed Milan, but unfortunately, Milan did not enjoy Frosty. When his creators where there to watch over him, many people stopped and stared, congratulating him for being so handsome. A really cute guy even took a photo of Frosty! Sadly, the moment we left him alone to face the world, some faceless and nameless vandals made sure to destroy the poor thing. A mere two hours after his birth, Frosty was decapitated, and resembled a small volcano rather than an ice sculpture.
I suppose all good things must come to an end.
May you rest in peace, Frosty!

Incindentally, what is the plural of snowman? Is it snowmen or snowmans?

Weird weather

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Panacea said...

The Plural is obviously snowmen

Seriously, you're the one who almost blinded me with snow here and you're whining about your stupid ears.

You have to admit it, we did have a hell of a lot of fun outside my house.

Poor Frosty aka Joe Ramone *sniff* i miss him.. he was the coolest snowman in the world!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Gianpy said...

hey hey, I was in Milan until one week ago... it's incredible how it snowed in the last days... i confrim.... for us, italian people it' always a drama when something like this happens...:-) so...keep in touch with you story

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home