Thursday, March 23, 2006

Can't you smell that smell?

'And suddenly the memory returns. The taste was that of the little crumb of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray (because on those mornings I did not go out before church-time), when I went to say good day to her in her bedroom, my aunt Léonie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of real or of lime-flower tea. The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it; perhaps because I had so often seen such things in the interval, without tasting them, on the trays in pastry-cooks’ windows, that their image had dissociated itself from those Combray days to take its place among others more recent; perhaps because of those memories, so long abandoned and put out of mind, nothing now survived, everything was scattered; the forms of things, including that of the little scallop-shell of pastry, so richly sensual under its severe, religious folds, were either obliterated or had been so long dormant as to have lost the power of expansion which would have allowed them to resume their place in my consciousness. But when from a long-distant past nothing subsists, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered, still, alone, more fragile, but with more vitality, more unsubstantial, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls, ready to remind us, waiting and hoping for their moment, amid the ruins of all the rest; and bear unfaltering, in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence, the vast structure of recollection.' *

You know how they always say, the most powerful tool for evoking memories is the sense of smell. Well, I agree. And so does Proust.

If I believed in past lives and reincarnations, I'd be positive that I was a dog in my past life. A dog or some other four-legged mammal with extraordinary olfactory prowess. In fact, I seem to be able to smell (and taste) things much better than most of the people I know. This occasionally results in weirdness; I can't drink milk unless it's really fresh. I can tell when it's one day before the expiry date. I can't stand cheese that's not uber-fresh either. And don't get me started on that thing they call gorgonzola. To willingly eat mould seems abominable to me.

I sincerely hope you skipped that uninteresting paragraph on my eating habits.

As I was saying, smells can evoke memories in a way that sight and sound can't. Proust seems to have a theory on that: when you smell something familiar, you get an emotional reaction as well as a physical recognition of something that's filed away in your brain. That's why it ends up being much more powerful than anything else.

A few days ago, we went on a family road trip to the
Lago d'Orta, a tiny lake in Northern Italy. There was a monastery on an island in the middle of the lake. In Turkish, 'orta' means middle, so there was some subdued merriment at the fact that there was an island in the middle of a lake called middle. OK, fine, you had to be there. We didn't actually go on the island, but I took a lovely little photo which you can see below.


We ate at a restaurant on the lake. It was a rather 'fancy' establishment, I must say. The menu was very weird and the ambiance very refined. I ended up having something very unusual: rice with something sweet in it (probably blackberry, as the thing was black), surrounded by a sauce made out of saffron and zucchini, with shrimp wrapped up in ham.

No, I am not joking. That is exactly what I had.

It tasted surprisingly nice, although the ham sort of killed the shrimp. In a metaphorical sense, of course. The shrimp was already dead.

But I digress.

As in all restaurants, there were napkins next to the plates. As soon as I picked mine up, I must have inhaled whilst wiping my mouth because my nostrils were suddenly filled with a more than familiar smell. I stopped, completely shocked. I inhaled again, and there it was, unmistakably familiar. I spent five minutes sniffing like an idiot because I really couldn't place the smell. All I knew was that I really liked it, that I'd definitely smelt it before and that it made me feel a weird mixture of happiness and sadness.

Finally, I realised that the napkin smelled exactly like the washing powder my gran used.

*Marcel Proust - Swann's Way

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

I am terribly glad that the shrimp were dead. Alive, they are nasty little creatures and difficult to pin down with a fork.

Here in the desert, we have monsoon rain storms in July and August. Monsoon is an Arabic word meaning "season". Our intrepid weather reporters say, "It is the monsoon season." Hence, for a two-month period, we have a season season.

My mother, who died shortly after I graduated high school, only wore one fragrance: the original Estee Lauder. Forty years later, whenever I get a whiff of it, I turn to see if the woman passing by is my mom . . .

Nothing Freudian, but rather an example of the extraordinary ability of the human mind to store memories of all five senses.

"Pooper".

2:47 PM  
Blogger Sven said...

This is a lovely essay. I too have a scent that reminds me of my grandmother-sauerkraut.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Panacea said...

If you were a dog in your past life, you'd definitely be a poodle.

When I was small, my mother used to work very tell late at night and used to be home by sometimes 9 or even 10 at night and I remember as soon as she came home I used to fling myself on to her neck and sniff her. The perfume she had used in the morning used to still be there combined with her own scent. I used to love it so much because it made me feel secure and loved. Also, this morning it was raining and as soon as I left home and went out, the first sniff I took and it just smelled of Bombay and I went on a nostalgia trip on my way to school.

*sigh* Swann's Way, isn't that such a great book? If I'm not mistaken this is from the chapter Combray right? Talking about books I have to mention Perfume in here. Now that was one weird book.

Oh, Mr. Poop, monsoon derives from the Arabic word 'mausum' for season, if you already didn't know. Its the same in Hindi and that's why I knew it and not because I know random Arabic words when I don't speak Arabic.

PS: This is longer than usual and I'm not sure why.

4:28 PM  
Blogger niTin said...

Heya..
Right now my grandma is making a traditional Indian dish and the whole house smells like an Indian restaurant. I'm nauseous.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Eris said...

reaally nice. so im not the only nut who associates memories by smell! i have a friend who moved to texas and she told me she'd studied this sort of thing in physcology and it appears that well... mostly 6 yr olds associtate by smell. so what does that say about us? but hey, i know for sure, that i can go to her house when she's not visiting and then go there when she is and it just smells different. like the first time it was someplace strange but when she's there, its like.... coming back to a favourite haunt. and i KNOW the smell of gardenia will always make me happy and feel so very completely alive coz there's this gardenia tree just outside my balcony and every monsoon it blooms and the house is just full of their fragrance. like cold windy days and rain and home. and that friend of mine knew bout it and she had this gardenia perfume and right before she left she sprayed me with it. it just makes me think of family. sorry. got carried away there.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home