Tuesday, April 04, 2006

An excuse to show off a beautiful photograph

Inspired by Pooper's recent 'essay', I decided to do my very own childhood post. Expect it to be rather biased. Oh, and it might gloss over some unpleasant details, but that's probably because of selective memory removal rather than voluntary omission.

When I was a young thing, I was a tomboy. I dressed like a little boy. I played football (meaning soccer) with the boys, and I was a very good goalkeeper, I'll have you know. The only Barbie doll I ever owned was a birthday present from someone who obviously didn't know me very well. To this day, that Barbie remains gathering dust somewhere, still inside the box she came with.

I was an avid
Power Rangers fan until the day my brother told me it was sad. I stopped watching the show immediately (peer pressure much?).

I found out that Father Christmas was a myth at age two. In first grade, I told my whole schoolbus (or anyone who would listen) that he didn't exist. I think somebody cried. I was very sorry about that but felt that everybody had a right to know the truth.

My parents sent me to an italian kidergarten to make sure I learned the language. I lasted a week. Then, I refused to go to school for three months because in fact I didn't know the language and nobody would speak to me. After three months of effectively missing kindergarten for no reason, my mother schemed and strategised and found a way to trick me into going back.

I was obsessed with the anime version of
Sailor Moon, so obsessed that one night, when there was supposed to be a very important episode, I refused to go out for pizza with my parents. It was so worth it.

My second grade teacher used to make us all read individually. One day, I was reading and she was listening and I came across a word that was slightly harder than all the other words in the book. I'd heard the word before because I used to read a lot, but somehow, I thought I wasn't supposed to know it. So I pretended to struggle (and I think I actually stuttered for effect) so she wouldn't think I was trying to show off.

I was Frosty the Snowman in a winter show.

Once, my numerous cousins and I were visiting Istanbul. At the end of the day, we got home to my aunt's house only to discover that we'd forgotten the keys and my aunt wasn't home yet. This would have been all well and good were it not for my desperate need to pee. I ended up peeing in the park in front of the house and my cousin, that asshat, took a photograph. I still have it and it's embarrassing, so no, I'm not posting it.

My favourite book when I was little was Watership Down, by Richard Adams. I remember borrowing it from the school library and loving every bit of it. However, I was at the time unaware that the word 'down' meant 'hill' as well as the opposite of 'up'. That's why I spent the whole book wondering how rabbits could go up Watership Down.

I'll be going to university in six months' time and I can hardly believe I was ever even a child.



The kid in the photo with the striped hat is me. I look nothing like that now. For starters, now you can actually tell I'm female. Anyways, I think it's the cutest photo ever, so go ahead and tell me how cute it is. Thank you.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger St Jude said...

Ok you have my vote in the cute stakes.

3:10 PM  
Blogger niTin said...

Aww.. look at you
I'll be going to university in six months' time and I can hardly believe I was ever even a child.
At that cusp of being a child and an adult(or is it "or"). Yes that feeling is recognizable.
Someone I know always used to say, that there is no choice about getting old, however you do have a choice about being child-like. I've tried my best to remain a child-like, and actually have gotten rather adept at being childish too.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Panacea said...

*high pitched squeal*

You know how much I love your baby pictues and this one's the cutest. Alright, you're probably sick of hearing me squeal about your baby pictures for the last whole month now so I'll just stop.

Hmm... I wonder how bad Italian translated Sailor Moon is. I loved the Power Rangers. Have you seen the movies? I've seen both of them *blush*

I always had something against animals talking in books and so I could never get around to reading either Watership Down or The Wind in the Willows.

One day you're so going to show me the picture of you peeing. Come on, you've seen me in a bucket, its only fair that I see your embarrassing pictures.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

Gosh kid, you coulda been in a Disney movie.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Nitin is right. Never lose the child-likeness. I haven't, and I refuse to do so.

This was an effective snapshot of yourself, as well as an effective snapshot of yourself. You look so Continental. But you do have selective memory removal.

Pan said you used to hit up the boys in the back of the school bus. Just for that, I am deducting one point from your cute score.

Make that one-half of a point.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Aaaaww! You're so CUTE!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Eris said...

awwwwww you make the cutest little boy ever!!!!!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TPF- you were absolutely adorable... what happened? (wink- i love clichè)

I used to go nuts over the power rangers also... I loved the red one, because I thought he wore the prettiest colour ever.

I still remember how disappointed I was when i had gone to a friend's house and his parents had bought me, and two other unrelated boys a present. They got power ranger suits... I got a barbie. And an ugly one too for that matter.

I also used to adore the ninja turtles......

8:58 PM  
Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

Aw, thank you all!
nitin: of course, the subtle difference between child-like and childish! But surely you're not that old, nitin! =)
frankengirl: I'm known for my prioritization skills. Seriously, Sailor Moon rules! Oooo, you've read Watership Down? I've recently reread it and what a trip down Memory Lane that was!
Pan: yes, I think I've had enough of your squealing to last me a lifetime.
Pooper: I only ever beat one boy up, and that's because he was a real jerk. He deserved it! Hmph. Remind me to tell you all that story some time.
Harry: My favourite Power Ranger was the blue one because he was so smart. What can I say, I was born a nerd.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home