Thursday, April 13, 2006

(Dawning of A) New Era

School is over and I'm not sure how I feel.

Tuesday was the last day. Pan, Marry and I went to the supermarket in the middle of the day (and you can tell it's the last day of school when no-one even stops you to ask you where the hell you think you're going) and bought two bottles of quality wine, one red and one white, just to make sure everybody would get something they liked. How nice of us, don't you think? You still owe me three Euros, Pan.

We got back and very inconspicuously went looking for a bottle opener whilst dodging already tipsy classmates. Eventually, I decided to steal the staff bottle opener. Well, 'steal' is not the appropriate word as it implies stealth. All I did was walk into the staff room and ask them if they had a bottle opener we could borrow. The business teacher pointed me in the right direction whilst my history teacher gave me a suspicious look and asked me what I was up to. I gave her my best innocent and dazzling smile and said: 'Nothing!' She rolled her eyes and pretended she hadn't seen me.

Ah, the joys of being a nerd!

We started drinking. Pan and I got quite tipsy and decided to donate the remaining wine to the boys so as to remove the temptation. I think that's the best decision we took that day. As you have already heard before, a drunk Pan is a spectacle to witness (or not, depending on your point of view).

All this went on while our mature boys tied skinny freshmen to the basketball hoop or to the net of the goal. The most disturbing part was when one of the victims said: 'Do you want me to sit up a little?' I mean, seriously, was he trying to make it easier for them to tie him up? Because that's just weird.

Eventually, the tipsiness wore off and I started randomly crying. The thing is, I rarely cry for serious things. I cry for movies and very rarely for books (OK, that only happened twice), and I always cry in cemetaries, but I don't cry when people die. When other people cry, that usually makes me get all teary-eyed too, but it never turns into a fully-fledged weep-a-thon. However, once I do start crying, I can't stop.

So there I was, crying intermittently for an hour, and I don't exactly know why.

The thing is, I really hate my school and I hate the people in it. Well, some of the people in it. But in this last week or so, all the hate has been removed to be replaced with this strange tenderness that is so unlike me. It's like all of a sudden, all the bad memories have disappeared and I suddenly love everybody, even Mole, that bitch. Seriously, I found myself randomly hugging Mole, and my hatred for Mole is legendary. Yet, all I can think of is that deep down, she's a nice person, and so are Queen Slut, hAirhead, Alternative Junkie etc. I love them all and I'm never going to see them again, if I can help it.

My mum says it's because everybody's feeling sad and consequently, they're all being nicer, which ends up making it much easier for me to like them. I think that's probably true, and I just wish they could have been nice for all this time rather than just for the last week of school. Oh well, you can't have everything in life, can you?

Eventually, I stopped crying and went home.

That night, we went out to this very popular pub-like place near the centre. I met up with Pan and was late as usual (I'm still feeling horrible about that, Pan). We took the tram and got there to find that the atmosphere was not pleasant at all. And the idiots were sitting outside even though it was freezing cold! Pan, Marry, Harry, Micky, Vintage-Girl, Stick Insect, Alt. Junkie, Bad Hair Year and I all sat inside to be later joined by Mole, of all people. The night looked like it was going to be awfully dull, so a group of us decided to go for a walk. When we got back, the place couldn't have been more different. Everyone was talking to everyone else, laughing, drinking, flirting with random Irish guys met that night, reminiscing about old times and hilarious school trips... Pan and I even shared a cigarette (and we don't smoke. No, we weren't trying to be cool. We don't have to try, you know. We were born cool)!

Mags, drug addict extraordinaire, was strangely emotional. Or perhaps she was just high. Either way, she looked like she was about to cry, but she never did. Meanwhile, Mel, Mole and Vicky sat with the Irish guys and got themselved numerous free drinks. Pan and I took advantage of the opportunity ourselves and ended up drinking free beer. We also dared Vintage Girl to make out with the cutest of the Irish guys. She did. We owe her 10 Euros.

Eventually, I-I-N, our outrageously young economics teacher, arrived. We all flirted shamelessly with him and told him that when he first arrived (he's a new teacher) we all thought he was really hot. We ended up giving him a group hug and I even kissed him on the cheek and then proceeded to rub it in Vicky's face (Vicky's notoriously in love with I-I-N). Contrarily to what you might think, this did not result in death glares, but in more laughter and more unexpected love and tender feelings.

And then, just like that, it was time to go home. So we went home. In my thirteen years at this school, I don't think I ever had this much fun on a night out. And if it doesn't sound fun from my post, that's because it's just so hard to explain how it was to people who weren't there. Or perhaps it was only fun because it was the last day of school and everything was positively swimming in a sea of nostalgia and goodwill.

Yes, that must be it.

I'm sad. I haven't even started studying yet and exams are in three weeks. I just feel so weird. Thank God I don't actually like this school, otherwise I'd be awfully depressed right now.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Panacea said...

Oh god, that was umm.. a truthful 'essay'. We sound awefully decadent with our party lifestyles.

Mole's not half as bad as you make her out to be! I'm not sure why you've had something against her. I can't believe you're having tender feelings for Queen Slut, she's probably clymedia infected or something. Oh, next time, can we not have snide remarks about alcohol intake? Mags is so weird, everytime I think of her, the first word that comes to my mind is dope.

I paid for your wine in the bar, I don't think I owe you anything now, do I?

hAirhead..hahahaha. OMG, hAirhead. In the end she's a nice person and she doesn't irritate me even half as much as she used to last year. I think we've bonded over our Biology teacher.

Oh and you kissing I-I-N was PLAIN creepy.

6:39 PM  
Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

Yes, I'm particularly proud of hAirhead. OK, you don't owe me. And you're just jealous that I got to kiss I-I-N and you didn't.

You're right, FG. The bad is just fading away and all I can remember is the good parts. Which is so uncharacteristic of me. I'm the kind of person who neither forgives nor forgets, so it's weird for me to feel all gooey. I must be going soft!

7:06 PM  
Blogger niTin said...

You called those boys who were ragging (or hazing or whatever is the "in" word now) mature. Can't quite get that.

9:55 PM  
Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

nitin: perhaps putting mature in inverted commas would have made it clearer that I didn't actually mean it?

10:06 PM  
Blogger St Jude said...

Enjoy, Sweetie, life has a way of overtaking us. Take your memories and store them where you can find them in the future.

This is another 'milestone' in your life. There will be many others. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

". . . while our mature boys tied skinny freshmen to the basketball hoop or to the net of the goal.

My eyes must be getting old. I thought that said, "goat". Stupid asshat, aren't I.

At the highly-possible risk of starting another snarkfest, I am going to make my long comment over at Pan's place. Just to balance FG, you understand.

TPF, you are an absolute delight. And if that goes to you head, so be it. You deserve it.

As my friends say, I am jellus. I shudder to think of me in another place and another time as one of your chums. The funny skinny kid. The Pooper.

It would have been grand to know you back then. And never forget how you were "back then", either.

4:24 AM  
Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

St. Jude: Yes, it really is a milestone... well, when I'm much older and rereading my old blog entries, I'll definitely remember!

Pooper:awwww! It would have been great to know you 'back then' too. I mean, seriously, I can't even begin to imagine the laughs. I'm sure we only get the filtered and shortened version through your blog.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home