Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mr. Squirrel in 'Dude, where's my tree?'


I like football. I like squirrels. I love football and squirrels together.


You're thinking: 'She's insane.' Or perhaps, 'I need to pee,' in which case go pee, please.

But I am not insane. There I was yesterday evening, pretending to study the Russian revolution, but actually watching a Champions League semifinal when an adorable little thing trots onto the football pitch.

Now being as I am blessed with not one, but two X chromosomes (and I will never thank Mother Nature enough for that), I too succumb to the mushy female stereotype and absolutely adore anything that's small and fluffy.

Squirrels are leaders in that category.

So I spent a good five minutes 'aaawww'ing and squealing uncharacteristically until the little bundle of fluff left the pitch.

Some time later, he came back and I got, if possible, even mushier.

There are some lessons to be learned from this episode:
1) Squirrels are more interesting than sweaty football players (except for a select few; Shevchenko comes to mind)
2) Never try to study the Russian revolution whilst watching a football match
3) A squirrel on a football pitch is cuter than a squirrel on a tree

Now I could add an extra paragraph on how number three is true because it's unusual to see a squirrel on a football pitch, and we are attracted to what's unusual, etc. But I can't. I need to go study the Russian revolution.


*The photograph is shamelessly ripped from this article. One day, I will post photos of 'Al, the Amazing Albino Squirrel', photos I took in the US but which I'm too lazy to look for at this time. Hey, I told you I'm a procrastinator.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger elaine x said...

... i vote for chipmuncks ... they have the cheeks ...
hope the revolution turns out ... well, i guess it sort of turned out ok, didn't it ... eventually ...
enjoyed the blog ...
peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'

12:53 PM  
Blogger Panacea said...

Vintage-Girl once told me that her dad was friends with Shevchenko and how she got to meet him. I pretended I didn't care or wasn't jealous. I lied.

Did I tell you about the time I went to Central Park and looked at white squirrels for one whole hour?

In normal circumstances I would probably be creeped out about you being into squirrels, right now I'm more creeped about the fact that you found something adorable and fluffy. Then you call me sappy!

I prefer ducks. They cuter and yellow.

1:14 PM  
Blogger ash said...

Damn I didn't see that squirrel. A couple of weeks ago though there was a match with a really fat pigeon on the pitch. It just sat there while the players played around it, and refused to move. Even when officials tried to shoo it off at half time, it simply kept on walking away slowly.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Eris said...

what is so nice about squirrels???
seriously! there's at least 4 of them in my garden, camping out in my drumstick tree and every single morning i have to wake up to the sound of them playing what i THINK is a game of hide and go seek but it looks and sounds more like they're having a gang bang.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Sven said...

It's just a darn good thing that was a squirrel and not a bird.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

My husband and I watched that match too. Wouldn't you know, I stepped out just when the squirrel came on.

It sounded adorable.

11:10 AM  
Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

business voodoo: thanks!
Pan: When she told me about her Shevchenko stories I tried to pretend it wasn't a big deal but I ended up getting a faraway look and drooling. BTW, squirrels kick duck ass!
Ash: Fat pigeons are the coolest! It's full of them in Milan. Some people say they carry diseases, but I think they're cute. Except when they poo on your head.
eris: Gangsta squirrels, huh? I can't believe you're complaining, though. Squirrels are adorable.
FG: Have you got toilet paper? You never know when it might run out.
Sven: That video is scary. Seriously, now I'll be having dead bird visuals all day thanks to you.
Sophia: NO! You missed the best part! It kept running around and the players had to stop until it left. It was soooooo cute!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Panacea said...

ooh, yesterday for the first time in my life I decided to get involved in this country and watch Italian News and in the headlines they kept showing clips of your squirrel prancing in the football field and then they showed other squirrels that had interruped other sports and football games. I love National Italian News, don't you?

11:30 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

I used to smoke outdoors at my old office and I became friendly with one of the local squirrels. Over time, he would come closer and closer to me to observe. I eventually had him eating sunflower seeds out of my hand! I was fascinated by his finger-looking claws, and how he deftly extracted the seeds from the shells. He only bit me once, by accident I believe, and did not break the skin.

Actually, it was quite funny. There I was, smoking cigarettes, but I worried about the squirrel's heart and only fed him unsalted seeds. Ah, the irony of it all.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Eris said...

uuuuum, tpf honey?
a gang bang has nothing to do with gangstas. its ....... nevermind, preserve your innocence.

3:17 PM  
Blogger girl said...

Awwwwww!! (I'm a girl, too)

6:02 PM  
Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

Pooper, you are so weird, there's just no words to describe.
OK, that's just envy speaking. you have no idea how much I would love to befriend a squirrel and feed it. Once, I was in a random park and I spread acorns and dried twigs and made a sort of nest in the hope of attracting squirrels. It didn't work.
Hey, I was, like, five. OK, maybe nine.

Pan: I know, national italian news is almost as bad as Turkish national news. It's all about pandas in zoos giving birth to offspring, beauty pageants and occasionally, if there's time, the war in Iraq.

Eris: Um, yes, I am rather naive. But seriously, if you're gangsta, you're prone to that kind of activity, aren't you?

Shirley: I love being a girl!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Eris said...

you may have a point there.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home